(in partnership with Christy Wilson @christywil74)
KORU apples are perfect for this recipe because they are so juicy and crunchy that they hold their shape when diced and cooked! This stovetop recipe is ready in no time and tastes just as great as baked apple crisp varieties (plus, it’s lighter in fat and total calories!).
3 KORU apples, cored and diced into ¼ in. cubes
2 Tbsp apple juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp butter
¼ c dried cranberries
¼ c dried cherries
1 c prepared granola
optional: vanilla ice cream
- 1.In a small bowl, add apple juice and cornstarch and mix until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- 2.In a medium bowl, combine diced KORU apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Mix until apples are coated, then pour cornstarch slurry over apples and stir to combine.
- 3.Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter to coat skillet. Heat until butter is melted, but not browned, then add apple mixture to the skillet. Cook and stir constantly until apples are brown, but not mushy, around 5 minutes.
- 4.Add cranberries and cherries to the apples and stir to combine and heat through.
- 5.Spread all fruit evenly in the pan, then add granola over the top. Reduce heat to low.
- 6.Flatten fruit and granola with the back of a wooden spoon, cover pan with lid and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- 7.Serve immediately with a scoop of ice cream. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon.