(in partnership with Miguel @holycityhandcraft)
You know what they say about an apple a day…
Apple Shrub Syrup (can be stored for up to 1 month in the fridge)
2 lb. KORU apples, diced
1 c apple cider
1 c apple cider vinegar
1 c granulated sugar
2 large cinnamon sticks
1 oz. gin
1 ½ oz. Cognac
1 oz. homemade Apple Shrub Syrup (you can purchase shrub syrups, although they’re hard to find at grocery stores; check your local farmers’ market!)
½ oz. fresh lemon juice
3 oz. soda water
optional (garnish): KORU slices and cinnamon stick
- 1.APPLE SHRUB SYRUP
- 2.Combine ingredients in a non-reactive mixing bowl (stainless steel, ceramic, glass, or enamel-coated metal). Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 24-48 hours, gently stirring every 12 hours.
- 3.Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a glass container. If you prefer a more refined syrup, strain again through a coffee filter.
- 4.Add 1 oz. of gin to fortify the syrup. Shake to incorporate.
- 5.Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 1 month.
- 6.KORU COCKTAIL
- 7.Combine Cognac, apple shrub syrup and lemon juice to a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- 8.Strain and pour over a chilled Cognac glass with ice. Top with soda water and garnish with cinnamon stick and fresh KORU slices.