- 1 qt fresh cranberries, washed and dried
- 1 c filtered water
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and diced (skin on)
- ¾ c maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
optional: 1 tsp orange zest
- Add cranberries, water, apples, maple sugar, and salt in a 5.5 quart dutch oven and set over high heat.
- Stir mixture as it comes up to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract, and allspice. Mix well. Mash with a potato masher if a smoother texture is desired.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed. The flavor will develop more as the sauce cools and the sauce will continue to thicken.
- Garnish with orange zest and enjoy! Keeps up to one week in an airtight container in the fridge.