(in partnership with Alex Adelborgh @daisybeet)
This apple cinnamon coffee cake is a better-for-you autumn treat! It’s gluten free, lower in sugar, and sure to please everyone.
1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek-style yogurt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon zest
2 New York Mac apples, thinly sliced
- Streusel topping
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, solid
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8″x8″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- 2.In a large mixing bowl, mix together almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
- 3.In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon zest until well combined with no lumps.
- 4.Pour wet ingredients into dry, and mix together.
- 5.Pour cake batter into the prepared baking dish.
- 6.Layer apple slices evenly over the cake batter.
- 7.Use a fork to mash together all the streusel topping ingredients in a bowl. Mixture should be crumbly.
- 8.Use your hands to sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the apple slices.
- 9.Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, until cake is not jiggy when moved, and a toothpick comes out clean in the center. Edges will be nicely browned to a deep caramel color.
- 10.Let cool completely before slicing into 16 squares.