- 10 large apples, quartered
- 1/2 orange, halved
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp whole allspice
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add apples, oranges, spices, and brown sugar. Add water until ingredients are covered, plus an additional 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Remove orange halves, then use a potato masher or wooden spoon to mash apples. Return to heat and let simmer uncovered for 1 hour more. (The longer you simmer, the stronger the flavors will be.)
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing solids with a wooden spoon to squeeze all juices out. Discard solids.
- Serve warm and garnish with a cinnamon stick and slice of apple!