Applesauce (yield ½ c for recipe)
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-1 ½ Tbsp water
- ½ tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp maple syrup, optional
- ½ c homemade applesauce
- 1 flax egg
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c unbleached flour
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ c plant-based milk of choice
- Add ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until mixture simmers.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the apples are very tender and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Stir to avoid burning.
- Blend sauce with a food processor or mash with a potato masher for a chunkier texture. Let cool at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Coat donut tray with non-stick baking spray.
- Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl until incorporated (the batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Using a piping bag or a spoon, fill the donut tray. Be sure to leave a little room at the top of each donut so they don’t spill over in the oven.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. Serve warm!