(courtesy of Elaine, @wandering_chickpea)
- 4 c arugula
- ¼ c toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt + more to taste
- 1 lb. pizza dough, homemade or store bought (we’re fans of Bobby Flay’s recipe at Food Network)
- ¼ c olive oil + more as needed
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme (or sub. 2 tsp dried thyme)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 KORU or SnapDragon apple, thinly sliced
- 6 oz smoked gouda
- 1 Tbsp honey
- arugula pesto (see above)
- 1.Preheat the oven to 475º F and grease a large baking sheet with olive oil.
- 2.Caramelize onions: heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add sliced onions, plus a pinch of salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until soft and caramel in color (about 20-25 minutes). Add balsamic and thyme and cook for another 3 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- 3.While onions are cooking, make the arugula pesto. Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor or high speed blender and combine, scraping down the sides to insure everything is incorporated. Taste for salt and add more as needed. Set aside until ready to use.
- 4.Flatbread assembly: roll out the dough into a thin (about ¼ in. thick, 12 in. diameter) circle on a lightly floured surface. Tip: lightly dust surface with cornmeal so the dough base slides easily. Transfer to the greased baking sheet and top with smoked gouda, apple slices, and caramelized onions.
- 5.In a small bowl, whisk honey with 2 Tbsp water and brush over the outer crust. Bake the flatbread for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in the center.
- 6.Slice and serve fresh out of the oven with dollops of arugula pesto.