(in partnership with Alex Adelborgh @daisybeet)
These apple cinnamon baked oatmeal cups are the best healthy make-ahead breakfast or snack! They’re lightly sweetened, soft and chewy, and filled with apple cinnamon flavor in every bite.
Notes: Keeps well in an airtight container stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
2 tbsp flax meal
5 tbsp warm water
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 large honeycrisp apple, diced 1/4 inch small (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1.Preheat oven to 350F. Spray muffin pan with oil or line with paper/reusable liners.
- 2.Whisk together flax meal and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside until a gel-like consistency forms.
- 3.Add flax egg mixture to a large mixing bowl, along with applesauce, maple syrup, soy milk, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- 4.In a separate bowl, mix together oats, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder.
- 5.Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine.
- 6.Stir in the apple pieces.
- 7.Fill each muffin cup fully, 1/3 – 1/2 cup of batter in each. You should have enough for 12 oatmeal cups.
- 8.Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are starting to brown and a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- 9.Let cool slightly, then run a butterknife around the edge of each oatmeal cup to loosen them from the pan.
- 10.Enjoy immediately, or store in the fridge!